Getting a Trade Name Certificate (DBA)

Sometimes sole proprietors and some other types of business owners choose to operate their business under a different name. That's where the "doing business as" option comes in.

Under Connecticut law, anyone who does business under an assumed name (DBA) must file a Trade Name Certificate in the town clerk’s office in the town where their business is being conducted.

Are you interested in a DBA? Some points to remember:

- All people who are authorized to sign on behalf of the business must sign their name on the Trade Name Certificate
- You must get the forms notarized
- You must include a filing fee (currently $10)

Tradename Certificate
Trade Name Certificate

Learn More About Trade Names

Get all the latest information about how your business can file for and record a trade name in the State of Connecticut.




Learn More About Trade Names Now
Visit your town’s website to fill out a cancelation form.

File for a DBA locally

To get a trade name, you must file with the town clerk in the town where you'll do business.

Use this handy list of town governments to find your local clerk.
Start the DBA Process Now
Visit your town’s website or contact your town clerk for further questions.

Need a Notary for Your DBA?

You'll need your DBA trade name forms notarized. Here's a list of active notaries in the State.

(Hint: select "notary public" in the License Type field and then hit "search")

Find a Notary Public Now

What is a "DBA"?