alert icon
Business owners - received a forfeiture letter? File a reinstatement to re-activate online today. Corporations, click here. Limited Liability Companies, click here.

As a military spouse relocating to Connecticut can I get a state occupational license?

Read time: 6 minutes

Under a new law, which takes effect on October 1, it will be easier for military spouses relocating to Connecticut to obtain licenses and certifications for employment in healthcare professions and other trades. The law applies to all military spouses, including those who may only be living in the state for a short duration.

Connecticut DPH and DCP will issue appropriate licenses or credentials to spouses of active duty service members stationed here if they have practiced safely under another state’s license for at least four years, meet examination requirements as defined under state statutes, and complete the necessary background checks.

The law applies to all DPH credentialed professions, including, but not limited to:

  • Dentists
  • Emergency medical services personnel
  • Nurses
  • Physical therapists
  • Physicians
  • Sanitarians
  • Veterinarians


For DCP, this includes:

  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Engineers and land surveyors
  • Home improvement contractors
  • Home inspectors
  • New home contractors
  • Real estate brokers and salespersons
  • Real estate appraisers
  • Landscape architects
  • Interior designers
  • Swimming pool contractors
  • Community association managers
  • Public service gas technicians
  • Television, radio service dealers, and electronics technicians
  • Pharmacists
  • Pharmacy technicians
  • Pharmacy interns
  • Hypnotists
  • Homemaker-companion agencies
  • Locksmiths

License and Permits