alert icon
Business owners - received a forfeiture letter? File a reinstatement to re-activate online today. Corporations, click here. Limited Liability Companies, click here.

Foreign vs Domestic - Formation vs Registration

Read time: 6 minutes

Foreign vs. Domestic (Formation vs. Registration)

A Foreign Entity is a business entity formed under the laws of another state or foreign country. If your business was created in a state or country outside Connecticut, you are required to register that business in Connecticut to do business here. Foreign entities can find the required registration forms on our Business Forms page. 


Domestic Entity is a business entity formed under the laws of Connecticut. Connecticut-based businesses are required to obtain a Certificate of Organization (Formation Document) to do business in our state. You can find the Formation Document on our Business Forms page.


Registration Forms and Fees